Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Leaving Work, Baby Shower, and a Best Friend

Bunch of things to catch up with. However, since I'm not working anymore, I now have the time to write about them. This past Friday was my last day at work. Ryan's getting so big, it's very difficult to do much. On my last day, my kind co-workers threw a surprise farewell party for me. They even had Brenton come! There were pink streamers, balloons, and pictures of Belle posted on the whiteboards. What touched me the most was when my boss opened the floor for anyone to share a memory or something they appreciated about me. I was very touched by several things my co-workers said. I'm very grateful for the job I had there. It was a blessing when I got it, and it has continued to bless me and my family more than just monetarily. I achieved a great sense of self-fulfillment and confidence in myself. It was my first official job since graduating college, and my first job with a salary. Overall I'm very grateful for the positive experience it gave me, and the friendships I made there.

On Saturday, my dear Aunt Shelley and her two daughters threw a baby shower for me and little Ryan. We had such a fun time! They made a delicious lunch for us, and planned fun games to play. It was great to celebrate Ryan's upcoming arrival, and receive some very thoughtful and sweet gifts for him. I'm glad that Ryan stayed in my tummy so that we could have the shower, because he's getting so close to coming out! Before the shower I decided to make a fruit cake that my mom makes. It's so pretty, and I've seen her make it a dozen times, but never tried it myself. It turned out awesome, and I was very pleased with it.



My sweet cousins who were so helpful and dressed up in baby blue for Ryan.



Aunt Shelley, who organized the whole thing, and made everything perfect. She's amazing.

On top of all the planning and work, Shelley also made me these onesies for Ryan. Aren't they adorable?!? Little ties!! I LOVE them!

One of the best parts of the shower for me was the arrival of my best friend, Laura. She recently returned home from her mission in Spain, and is now back out here in Provo for school. I hadn't seen her since before she left, which was the week Brenton proposed to me. I think I would have cried even if I wasn't 9 months pregnant when I saw her come through that door. I've missed her so much. There's nothing in the world like a best girl friend, and I'm of the opinion that every girl truly needs one. She stayed for a few hours after the shower so we could catch up, and just spend time chatting together. I was amazed at how even after almost two years of only writing letters to each other for communication, we slipped back into ourselves instantly as if she'd never been away. I was so happy to see her and realized how many things about her that I love. She has been a true friend to me through the highest and lowest points of my life. The sweetest thing she did that day was look at my toes with the remnants of my last pedicure fading away (which Brenton kindly painted for me two months ago), knowing I could no longer reach my feet, and said, "Ok, dear. Grab your nail polish remover and the color you want. We're repainting these guys." So we sat there chatting while she painted my toes all rosey, and then put little white hearts on them. It makes me smile every time I put my feet up and I think how lucky I am to have a best friend like her.


I have a few other items to report, but we'll save those for another post, most likely tomorrow since I have time these days!

1 comment:

  1. I love that little onesy your aunt made! What a cute idea! Also, that cake you made looks really yummy. :) I may have to steal a recipe from you!

    Best girlfriends who you can be yourself with are definitely the best! And reunions after long times away are so sweet. I hope you enjoy your time off before your little man makes his appearance!

    ReplyDelete