Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Elation mixed with Tummy Grumbles

Yes, it's true! I'm pregnant! Today marks 7 1/2 weeks along for our soon-to-be baby Hoyos. I can't quite express the elation, happiness, nervousness, and gratitude that I feel. I'm amazed at how rapidly my body is already changing, even though the baby is only the size of a blueberry. I'm constantly bloated and enlarged in other frontal areas, making my usual clothes fit rather unusually. The hormones rushing through my body are helping the baby grow rapidly, but also making me feel like I'm going through round 2 of puberty. I wake up each morning with about 10 new blemishes on my face, I'm moody all the time, tired, and often feel like I don't know how I'll get through the rest of the day.

When I'm not nauseous, I'm ecstatic at the prospect of becoming a mother. It is something I have dreamed of becoming my whole life. I can't think of anything else in this life as rewarding as raising a child. I know that it will be the most difficult thing I'll ever be asked to do, but I've never been more eager to do it. Just to see his/her tiny face look up into mine and smile would make the mountains of dishes and sleepless nights seem worth it. That's my theory, anyway.

Now that I'm well into my first trimester, the nausea has taken full force, and the evenings are AWFUL! It's about all I can do not to cry, and some nights I can't help it and sob my heart out. The interesting thing is, I often don't throw-up, I just have the nausea. That often times feels worse. I usually feel pretty good during the day, and so I think, "I must have been overreacting last night. It couldn't have been that bad." Then I get home from work and realize I wasn't imagining it. It's so painful.

And so I'm embarking on the next big step in my life, that will once again change it forever, but in the best way possible. Not to mention I get to go through it all with my best friend. In addition to expanding our eternal family, I'm so excited that he or she will look like us. Talk about the sweetest summation of our relationship, to see that our beautiful little baby has "daddy's nose," and "mommy's eyes," etc. I can hardly wait to see how he/she will look. Until then it's a waiting game filled with wonderful surprises and PLENTY of tummy grumbles. Oh boy. (or girl!)

7 comments:

  1. Of course, the baby will be beautiful, in view of the available gene pool. And the baby will be totally worth it all, even if he or she turns out to be the most horrible (as a baby, just like mother was--as a baby).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you're feeling so sick at night. Remember when you were in highschool, and I promised you it wouldn't last forever? Well the same advice applies- only this time it's only for a few months, rather than 4 years . . . unless of course in the next 4 years you have another baby . . . how about this- the good things about kids last forever? Focus on that happy distraction, and then go eat some multi grain Cherrios with peanut butter, and a banana. Add 2 full glasses of ice cold water- and surf the internet for cute baby clothes. Before you know it you'll wonder what it was like to have time to eat . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I am so excited for you and Brenton! Whenever I hear about a couple expecting I always think about how it is such a little miracle. :) I'm sure baby Hoyos will be handsome/beautiful as can be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figure it will be poetic justice if the baby is "the most horrible" as a newborn. I will have earned it I guess, but maybe we'll get lucky and he or she will be wonderfully behaved. If not, I think I turned out ok, so I'm not too worried. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, so far, as your mother and I often reflect, it seems that Liz gets to raise her sisters. Maybe you will, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, congratulations Katie! With parents like you and Brenton I know the baby will be absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete