Sunday, January 6, 2013

Been There: Done That (or not)

I've already been through this whole pregnancy thing before. At 10 1/2 weeks, you'd think I've got a pretty good handle on everything. After all, nothing's new so it should feel doable this time around as I'm not working full time and can nap whenever Ryan does. How naive I was to believe simply because I've done this before it would be the same or even easier!

Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING about this pregnancy is the same as Ryan's. With Ryan I felt sick, but during the day it was pretty manageable for the most part. I can count the number of times on one hand I threw up during those nine months. Not so with this little one. I am sick, sick, sick, all the time. It is relentless! At this point in Ryan's pregnancy I'd gained over 10 pounds and counting. This time I've lost three and counting. All I wanted to eat with Ryan was sugary things. Cake, candy, chocolate, ice cream, you name it, my sweet tooth wanted it. This time all I want is salt. Crackers, soup, chips, pretzels, pickles (mmmm, pickles), if it's salty I'll eat it. With Ryan my acne was worse than a 15-year-old boy's. Now, oddly enough, my face seems to be clearing up. Weird, right? I was so weepy when I expected Ryan. Any time I saw baby anything I sobbed with excitement and fondly caressed my growing tummy. This time around I'm more cranky and some days I even think, "was this really what I was praying for 8 months for? How am I going to do this again?" I think it's just a different balance of hormones than before, because deep down I am truly thrilled and grateful to be pregnant. It's frustrating when my hormones tell me I should feel otherwise.

Basically, it's true when they say every pregnancy is different. My family is convinced I'm carrying a girl this time because my symptoms are so opposite. That may be true, and we would be THRILLED if little Angela Rose is on the way. But we've also got a 50/50 chance that Jackson Rafael's growing rapidly in my belly, and we'd be delighted to have him, too. Besides, if it is Jackson and symptoms are a good indicator of personality, he's going to be nothing like his big brother. Either way the adventure is speeding along, and we're so grateful to be blessed with another little miracle. Here's to hoping my nausea ends with the first trimester in a few more weeks. Just the thought of feeling this miserable for the entire nine months is making me cry. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go throw up for the fourth time today.

Here's an update on my growing belly progress. I was showing much faster with Ryan. This one seems to be taking his/her time. I'm okay with that. :-)

Week 4

Week 5
Week 6

Week 7


 Week 8





Week 9


















Week 10


















Funny how as each week goes by I look sicker and sicker. Very accurate pictures, indeed.
 

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations, for you Katie! And so sorry you've been so sick. I feel your pain! I have votes that this one is a girl, too because my girl was so much different than my boy! yay for you either way! I hope the weeks get better for you and you can still get some rest. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm packing for a trip and read your post during a much needed little break. Then, Tale as Old as Time comes on my itunes shuffle....hmmm, must be fate! I'm so excited for you and hope that you start to feel better soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're incredible my darling! I'm amazed by you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy about the baby, however sorry for the sickness and you look good take care and hope the morning sickness will become the thing of the past soon,very soon. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the yucky symptoms. I think every pregnancy is different, because you have a different body each time, and a different life in which to experience the symptoms. Typically you're too busy and distracted during the first pregnancy to fully embrace the nausea. You were working then, and excited. Now you're just as busy, but you have a lot more mental space to think about it. Oh yeah, and excitement- gone. The whole "yay I'm pregnant" thing is for new moms. Now it's, "Yay, we're going to have a baby- crap, that means 9 months of pregnancy." I've heard the hormones increase with each pregnancy, making pretty much every symptom more intense with each pregnancy. At least you have experience under your belt. Everything isn't weird or scary or confusing. Different maybe, but still more or less predictable. I had the flu last week, and was surprised at how much it reminded me of being pregnant. Babies are worth it, but JUST barely. Sometimes I feel like God filled the "pregnancy trials bottle" with an eye dropper, saying, "Ok, just one more drop, or it'll overflow, and no woman will ever do this!" He knew our limit down to the ml. Have you heard the Gary Allan song, Every Storm Runs out of Rain? It's been my theme song lately, and I think it's new, because I hear it on the radio a lot. The misery wont last forever, and the end of it is rainbows! YOUR rainbow just happens to be a perfect, sweet, newborn. You can do it. 29.5 to go!

    ReplyDelete