Thursday, October 29, 2009

Being Belle

As most of you know, I have been obsessed with Beauty and the Beast since my 5th birthday when my mom took me out on a special date, just me and her, to see the beloved Disney classic. I can still remember how awed I was when all the candles lit up in a giant chorus line during "Be Our Guest," and how exciting it was to watch it with my mother. It was so magical, and from that day on I knew who I wanted to be.

As the years went by I began collecting just about everything I could possibly get my hands on that had anything to do with Beauty and the Beast. The Christmas I turned six my mom sewed me my very own Belle dress, and I wore it every single day when I came home from school. I remember one time I was eating chocolate pudding in it, and spilled some on the left sleeve, leaving a permanent brown stain on the golden polyester. I treasured that dress because in my mind it truly defined who I was: a beautiful princess with long brown hair, and chocolaty brown eyes. I was Princess Katiebelle. Rider of imaginary horses named Philippe, and reader of books. I could conquer anything, and no beastly man was going to tell me what to do! I used to tell my parents, "When I grow up and go to dances I'm going to tell the boys, 'If you want to dance with a pretty girl, no beggars!'" Princesses never hang down their heads, and neither would I!

When it was time for my first high school prom there was no question in my mind of what my dress was going to look like. I had been devastated the year I turned 11 and could no longer wear my beautiful gold dress. So in the early spring of my junior year Mom took me out on a special date, just me and her, to buy fabric to make a new Belle dress. We scoured the rows and rows of fabric until we found the perfect combination, and then brought it to a seamstress to make my caparison dreams come true.

And then before I knew it I was in college, and looking for a way to make some extra cash without having to spend too much time doing it. I sat brainstorming, and then of course, there was the answer right in front of me. I would get paid to be myself. So I started entertaining little girls' birthday parties as Princess Belle. I can't tell you how amazing it is to walk into a room full of little girls and see their faces light up in delight because you are there. It still makes me tear up a little to think of their sweet hands reaching up to touch my face and to hear them exclaim, "I can't believe it's really you!" It often surprised me when at the end of the party the parents would hand me a check. I'd think, "Oh yeah! This is my job!"

I sit here reminiscing about all of this because today we had a big costume party at my work. Students and parents brought in their children to go trick-or-treating around the building. I wore my beautiful, sparkling Belle dress and greeted little princesses all over again. It was such a joy. As I watched them skipping up and down the halls in their shiny dresses, I could almost see a spunky, 5-year-old girl with two long brown, braided pig-tails, and chocolaty brown eyes. I imagined her rushing straight up at me with a look that said, "I'm Princess Katiebelle. Kindergartner. Rider of imaginary horses and reader of books!"

5 comments:

  1. Now my side of the story. When I was just a young little boy, my father took me to see that same movie. I always wanted to be the Beast! ... okay, maybe it didn't happen quite like that. My story isn't as magical as yours, but I will have you know that ever since I was old enough to like girls, my favorite Disney Princess has ALWAYS been Belle. Little did I know then that one day all my dreams would come true and I would marry you, my very own sweet Princess Katiebelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two comments: I wonder if Belle was the most horrible when she was little. And does that make me the crazy inventor?

    Very charming post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you did dress up as Mr. Gumby. That was pretty crazy. And Belle probably was horrible, because she was so pretty and knew she could get away with it. Makes since to me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweetly written, Kate. I can't watch Belle and Beast dance to Tale as Old as Time, without tearing up a little, and thinking of you at your wedding reception. However, you're not the only beautiful brunette with chocolaty brown eyes in the family. ;o) I wonder if Belle had two pretty older sisters, if the whole Gaston thing would have turned out the same? Maybe Belle would have been off the hook, and free to marry the beast, drama free! Things still wouldn't bode well for the Dad though, because of course the sisters wouldn't want Gaston either . . .

    By the way, of course Dad is the crazy inventor. I still have nightmares of him showing up to the dance as Mr. Gumby. He's not really crazy though. Just a misunderstood genius.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had forgotten about Mr. Gumby. Great costume. Mom still thinks my reenacting uniform is the scariest.

    ReplyDelete