Monday, April 16, 2012

Dear Provo: A Thank You Note

Dear Provo,

On Wednesday morning we will lock our door, hand the keys to our landlord, buckle ourselves into our U-Haul and leave your boundaries forever. I don't really have the time to write this post as there is still much to be done before that morning, but after nearly 7 years of ups, downs, and everything in between, I feel some "thank yous" are in order.

Thank you for the education I received here at one of the nation's top universities. I worked extremely hard to earn a bachelor's degree from Brigham Young University, and I am grateful for the professors who motivated, inspired, and encouraged me to work for something I will treasure forever. No matter what life throws at me, no matter what job I may have or lose, no on can take that degree away from me.

Thank you for the gift of my best friend, Laura. A bond like ours will last forever, and I will cherish the memories we have of our time spent here together.

Thank you for introducing me to my sweetheart. Your town full of affordable restaurants and lovely parks provided a great atmosphere for me to get to the know the man I would one day call my husband.

Thank you for providing me with my first salary-based, post-graduate job. I learned many valuable skills from it, but mostly learned I had something to contribute to the professional world, and was seen as an asset to a successful company.

Thank you for the miracle of my first child. Thank you for the fantastic hospital that saved my baby's and my life with only precious minutes to spare. Perhaps there are other hospitals and doctors who could have acted that quickly and effectively elsewhere, but I will be forever indebted to the people who took great care to ensure my son made it safely to our family.

Thank you for providing my with fantastic friends. I've made some friendships here that will continue with me no matter where we live. I'm grateful I was able to be in an area where so many people were in the same season of life as me. I don't think that will be the case anywhere else, and it was perfect for this stage of life.

We are truly thrilled to be moving on to Kentucky. It's everything we were hoping and praying for. I'm so excited for this new adventure for our family, but please know there is a part of me that owes you gratitude for the many joyful, life-changing events that happened in your city. Farewell, and may I never have to live here again.

Best Regards,

Katie Hoyos

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post! What a great way to sum up your Provo experiences. I said goodbye to Provo 6 months ago, and felt many of those same emotions, but never wrote them down. Thanks for putting in words what Provo has done for you!

    ReplyDelete