Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Belles on Christmas Day

This was my first Christmas not spent with my parents. Last year Brenton and I spent our first Christmas together in VA, but with the addition of little Ryan, we decided to have a nice, quiet Christmas in our own home. It was a new experience combining traditions from two families into one, but we created a lovely holiday that fits our new family perfectly.


On Christmas Eve, we dressed up, made a fancy dinner that my family growing up used to make on Christmas Day, and had a small family devotional dedicated to the Savior. We read the scriptures, sang hymns and Christmas carols, and bore our testimonies about Jesus Christ. Afterwards, we gave each other the two gifts that we handmade. Then we put Ryan to bed and Brenton and I watched the George C. Scott version of "A Christmas Carol."


Christmas morning, we woke up and showed Ryan that Santa had visited our house. It was fun to show him different presents, and then give gifts to each other, too. Brenton's theme for me was definitely Beauty and the Beast. He got me several new Belle items. One of them was a Belle figurine on a carousel horse. Another was a Beast and Belle trinket box. Then there was a new Belle barbie doll with several outfits. He even found a Belle Christmas ornament that I didn't have (an impressive feat, believe me). By the time all the presents had been opened, I was surrounded by Belles. It was wonderful!



We enjoyed the rest of our day together, Hoyos style. We watched Christmas movies, played with Ryan and his toys, and munched on finger foods. It was a lovely day.

Now it's a new year, and I'm excited to see what it brings for us. 2010 was definitely an adventure, and I'm sure Ryan will make 2011 just as exciting. Like most new beginnings, I've taken time to ponder on all the blessings we've received during this past year. As I've sat rocking our baby to sleep, I've shed many a grateful tear over the fact that both he and I are alive, healthy, and happy. Brenton is doing well in school with a major he loves, and we have a lovely home that fits our budget. Both of us are working to lose weight. Brenton has a great job that allows me to stay home watching Ryan, and I'm starting an online crocheting business next week. I have so much to be grateful for.

1 comment:

  1. Katie, I too love A Christmas Carol, I think I have 5 or 6 versions on tape. The George C Scott version is my favorite, love Edward Woodward as the Ghost of Christmas Present.

    ReplyDelete